How Do I Obtain a library card?

New borrowers over the age of 18 years old are required to provide identification and proof of residence to obtain a free library card. A valid identification card or driver’s license, with photo and Carroll County address will serve as proof of residency. The following may serve as proof of address:

  • Pre-printed piece of mail with matching name and Carroll County address
  • Existing bank account check with pre-printed Carroll County address
  • Valid JCTCS school identification
  • Rent receipt with your name and Carroll County address
  • Valid library card from another library in the state of Kentucky (note: that library will be contacted to verify you are a patron in good standing)
  • Voter Registration card with Carroll County address
  • Utilities receipt with Carroll County address

If no proof of Carroll County residency is available, patrons may pay a $10.00 out-of-county fee for one library card per family.

The use of the library and/or its services may denied for due cause. Such cause may be failure to return library materials or to pay fines; destruction of library property; disturbance of other patrons; or any other objectionable conduct on library premises.

New Library Cards for patrons ages 5-17

Patrons 17 and under will require the signature of a parent or guardian and must be at least 5 years old to obtain a free library card. By signing, the parent or guardian accepts responsibility to replace any lost or stolen materials and/or fines associated with the account. They are also agreeing to allow their children to check out materials available in the library. Books, audio books, music cd’s and magazines are available to all patrons regardless of age based on the Freedom to Read Act. Movies and video games are circulated using a different standard (See Circulation of Materials). Parents must assume the responsibility to monitor their children’s reading and listening material.

To obtain a card, a minor must have:

  • Parent or guardian signature
  • The parent or guardian must have a valid library card in good standing
  • If parent does not have proof of residency, they can provide proof of registration in the Carroll County Public school system or Christian Academy of Carrollton.
Ky Unbound KY Virtual Library